T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino v3.4 Download
Autodesk tsElements v1.2 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

From T-Splines to Nurbs and back to (similar) T-Spline

A support and feedback forum for Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino users.

From T-Splines to Nurbs and back to (similar) T-Spline

Postby Akira74 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:21 am

Hi there,

I have a strange ellipsoid structure given by its boundary lines and only by using T-Splines (tsLoft) I got a very nice representation of the object.
For further processing I needed a coarse grained closed polygon of this ellipsoid in a *.stl-file, which I got after modifying the structure in Box-Mode and converting this to a polygon. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, I now need to have a flat rectangular solid intersecting this ellipsoid. For the other program, this has to be either
a) a closed polygon itself (NOT intersecting the ellipsoid, but having a "hole" where they meet)
or
b) merged with the original ellipsoid, so that I can create a completely new combined closed polygon.
For either of these, I thought I create the flat rectangle as a Rhino-object intersecting the ellipsoid and then make a boolean division (for (a) ) or merge (for (b)).

However, the following problems arise:
To make the boolean cuts, all T-spline objects are converted to Rhino-objects and I can't seem to get these back to Rhino-objects. (Again want to export the box-mode structure, because the meshes I get from all other commands are horrible). I simply can't choose these objects for conversion to T-splines.
And even if I cut, will this new T-spline be similar to the old one? (Because I already made a lot of manual changes to the original ellipsoid)

I know my explanations are somewhat fuzzy, but I hope you guys understand what I mean. :)

Best, akira

PS: I'm also open for general hints on how I could solve this problem with the intersecting box in Rhino. I'm still in my first week of using a CAD-software. :oops:
Akira74
Poster

Re: From T-Splines to Nurbs and back to (similar) T-Spline

Postby JSantocono » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Akira,
:roll: ......Can you post the file with the 2 objects? (or send it to me juan@tsplines.com ). This will help me to understand and suggest a solution.
Akira74 wrote:To make the boolean cuts, all T-spline objects are converted to Rhino-objects and I can't seem to get these back to Rhino-objects.

Unfortunatelly, you can't boolean a T-Splines surface without beeing converted into a Rhino surface. And converting it back to T-Splines after the boolean operation won't work.
Akira74 wrote: (Again want to export the box-mode structure, because the meshes I get from all other commands are horrible).

Is this for 3D printing? If this is the case a Rhino surface will do the job. Maybe is t's just a matter of making a more dense mesh out of the final Rhino surface. Not sure, again, the file could help here.
Akira74 wrote:I simply can't choose these objects for conversion to T-splines.

You have to _Explode them first. Then you can tsConvert :tsConvert:
Akira74 wrote:And even if I cut, will this new T-spline be similar to the old one? (Because I already made a lot of manual changes to the original ellipsoid)

Yes, you would have a Rhino surface identical (from the shape point of view) to the T-Splines surface. The shape doesnt change.

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Akira74 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi,

to clarify, I actually need a coarse closed polygon for the program that uses the *.stl file. It shouldn't have more than 1-2k polygons, but the meshes created from Rhino or T-Spline surface are needlessly fine with more than 500k polygons. The only good combination up to now was the box mode *.obj with a little ReduceMesh refinement.

But that was before I needed to alter the object/ include another one.
And since I spend considerable time manually cleaning that *.obj-mesh I'd like to re-use it and somehow combine it with the flat rectangular box.

I don't know, if I'm allowed to send these files, but I'll check back and send you a mail, if I can.

Thanks, akira
Akira74
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 am

Akira74 wrote:to clarify, I actually need a coarse closed polygon for the program that uses the *.stl file. It shouldn't have more than 1-2k polygons, but the meshes created from Rhino or T-Spline surface are needlessly fine with more than 500k polygons. The only good combination up to now was the box mode *.obj with a little ReduceMesh refinement.

Got it!
Akira74 wrote:And since I spend considerable time manually cleaning that *.obj-mesh I'd like to re-use it and somehow combine it with the flat rectangular box.

You could make the rectangle box with _MeshBox and then make a _MeshBoolean operation with the .obj mesh (former T-Splines)....I can show you with a file. You can send it to my personal mail (juan@tsplines.com). I will keep it confidential (for my eyes only).

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Return to Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino modeling