T-Splines
T-Splines

Current version

Download the current version.

Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino: v4.0 Download

Featured threads

The links below lead to some of our favorite forum threads.

052775 052099

29164 052640

29164 29164

052346 052775

See more featured threads.

Webinars

Date Topics  
7/09 Creating stunning jewelry designs with T-Splines View
5/07 How to approach modeling with T-Splines View
3/07 Carl Bass reintroduces T-Splines for Rhino View
6/21 Transitioning from NURBS to T-Splines View
12/07 Footwear modeling with T-Splines 3.3 for Rhino View
11/29 New T-Splines reverse engineering tools View
10/28 How T-Splines changed my aproach to making jewelry in CAD View
09/29 Modeling a water gun View
09/07 Car modeling:
Parts 1, 2, & 3
View
07/06 tsElements intro
hosted by Novedge
View
06/22 Free-form Architecture View
06/15 TS Pipe command View
06/08 T-Splines for Rhino intro View

From T-Splines to Nurbs and back to (similar) T-Spline

A support and feedback forum for Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino users.

From T-Splines to Nurbs and back to (similar) T-Spline

Postby Akira74 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:21 am

Hi there,

I have a strange ellipsoid structure given by its boundary lines and only by using T-Splines (tsLoft) I got a very nice representation of the object.
For further processing I needed a coarse grained closed polygon of this ellipsoid in a *.stl-file, which I got after modifying the structure in Box-Mode and converting this to a polygon. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, I now need to have a flat rectangular solid intersecting this ellipsoid. For the other program, this has to be either
a) a closed polygon itself (NOT intersecting the ellipsoid, but having a "hole" where they meet)
or
b) merged with the original ellipsoid, so that I can create a completely new combined closed polygon.
For either of these, I thought I create the flat rectangle as a Rhino-object intersecting the ellipsoid and then make a boolean division (for (a) ) or merge (for (b)).

However, the following problems arise:
To make the boolean cuts, all T-spline objects are converted to Rhino-objects and I can't seem to get these back to Rhino-objects. (Again want to export the box-mode structure, because the meshes I get from all other commands are horrible). I simply can't choose these objects for conversion to T-splines.
And even if I cut, will this new T-spline be similar to the old one? (Because I already made a lot of manual changes to the original ellipsoid)

I know my explanations are somewhat fuzzy, but I hope you guys understand what I mean. :)

Best, akira

PS: I'm also open for general hints on how I could solve this problem with the intersecting box in Rhino. I'm still in my first week of using a CAD-software. :oops:
Akira74
Poster

Re: From T-Splines to Nurbs and back to (similar) T-Spline

Postby JSantocono » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Akira,
:roll: ......Can you post the file with the 2 objects? (or send it to me juan@tsplines.com ). This will help me to understand and suggest a solution.
Akira74 wrote:To make the boolean cuts, all T-spline objects are converted to Rhino-objects and I can't seem to get these back to Rhino-objects.

Unfortunatelly, you can't boolean a T-Splines surface without beeing converted into a Rhino surface. And converting it back to T-Splines after the boolean operation won't work.
Akira74 wrote: (Again want to export the box-mode structure, because the meshes I get from all other commands are horrible).

Is this for 3D printing? If this is the case a Rhino surface will do the job. Maybe is t's just a matter of making a more dense mesh out of the final Rhino surface. Not sure, again, the file could help here.
Akira74 wrote:I simply can't choose these objects for conversion to T-splines.

You have to _Explode them first. Then you can tsConvert :tsConvert:
Akira74 wrote:And even if I cut, will this new T-spline be similar to the old one? (Because I already made a lot of manual changes to the original ellipsoid)

Yes, you would have a Rhino surface identical (from the shape point of view) to the T-Splines surface. The shape doesnt change.

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Postby Akira74 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi,

to clarify, I actually need a coarse closed polygon for the program that uses the *.stl file. It shouldn't have more than 1-2k polygons, but the meshes created from Rhino or T-Spline surface are needlessly fine with more than 500k polygons. The only good combination up to now was the box mode *.obj with a little ReduceMesh refinement.

But that was before I needed to alter the object/ include another one.
And since I spend considerable time manually cleaning that *.obj-mesh I'd like to re-use it and somehow combine it with the flat rectangular box.

I don't know, if I'm allowed to send these files, but I'll check back and send you a mail, if I can.

Thanks, akira
Akira74
Poster

Postby JSantocono » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:52 am

Akira74 wrote:to clarify, I actually need a coarse closed polygon for the program that uses the *.stl file. It shouldn't have more than 1-2k polygons, but the meshes created from Rhino or T-Spline surface are needlessly fine with more than 500k polygons. The only good combination up to now was the box mode *.obj with a little ReduceMesh refinement.

Got it!
Akira74 wrote:And since I spend considerable time manually cleaning that *.obj-mesh I'd like to re-use it and somehow combine it with the flat rectangular box.

You could make the rectangle box with _MeshBox and then make a _MeshBoolean operation with the .obj mesh (former T-Splines)....I can show you with a file. You can send it to my personal mail (juan@tsplines.com). I will keep it confidential (for my eyes only).

JuanS
JSantocono
Poster

Return to Autodesk T-Splines Plug-in for Rhino modeling